Monday, November 17, 2008

40 something

Today is my 40th birthday. Where did the time go. I don't feel 40. But what exactly is 40 supposed to feel like? I have never really been rattled by birthdays. It is just a number after all. I feel older when my child has a birthday not me.

This one... comes with a little sentimentality. I am sad to be leaving my 30s. So many good things happened in the last ten years that I worry about the next 10 not being as exciting. In my 30s I graduated from college, bought & restored an old house, opened a store, got married, expanded the store, had a child, started a magazine career, expanded the store again, made some incredible friends and loved every bit of it.

When I was in high school I would watch the tv show Thirty Something and they all seemed so old to me. They had grown up problems: relationships, kids, businesses etc. It seemed so far off and definitely not "real." It couldn't be. I thought for sure that would never be me. Well it was (is) me. I totally relate to all they were going through. I on the other hand I look back in wonder at all that was accomplished in spite of the struggle. You are no longer young enough to be excused for silly mistakes and not old enough to appreciate that, in time, you could work through it.

So to all of you 20 and 30 somethings, enjoy...and to you 40 somethings here I come.

9 comments:

Erica Kelly said...

happy birthday! i'm sure you're going to make the most out of your forties as much as you did your thirties. after all, its just another set of years waiting to be enjoyed and put to good use!

happy blogging and happy living :)

Erica Kelly said...

Happy Birthday! I'm sure you're going to make the most of your 40s just as you did for your 30s. It's just another set of years for you to enjoy life and accomplish goals!

Happy blogging and happy living :)

P.S. um this might be mega creepy but i think i passed you on the street last night....wow i hope that doesnt creep you out at all...im not a stalker i swear. lol

Anonymous said...

Welcome to club 40 something :)
Happy Happy Day!

McMaster & Storm said...

Happy, Happy, Birthday......
Enjoy the next 10!!!! Woohoo.
K&D

tamara! said...

Hi from a longtime @Home fan...Happy birthday to you! Did you have a hard time turning 30? I wonder if each decade birthday just gets more and more stressful. I know my dad FREAKED OUT when he was turning 60.

Take care and hope the shop gets lots of holiday business. :)

blue moss said...

happy happy birthday!!! turning 40 freaked me out more than being in my 40s has....if that makes sense. anyway hope you had a great day!

angeline said...

happy birthday, liz! you have done an incredible job with your thirties. i hope you had a wonderful day with your family. :)

Griffith said...

Just a few more years for that AARP card.
That was a joke....wait a minute I'm older than you,
yikes!

Happy Birthday!!!

Ginger said...

Happy Birthday to my favorite shop girl! You have so much to be proud of!

Hoping to come visit next week.
Ginger