Wednesday, October 15, 2008

cupcakes for a cause


I saw a poster in the window of my friend's bakery, Back in the Day, advertising Cupcakes for a Cause.  The national event is scheduled for October 20-26.  Part of the proceeds from the event will be donated to the CancerCare for Kids program which provides free support services to children affected by cancer and their families.  

One of my dearest customers is battling thyroid cancer.  She has been shopping with her mother in my store since she was 5.  Her first purchase was a little wooden barn for her kitten. Her mother was trying to teach her the value of money so she paid me for it but told her daughter it was on layaway.  Every week she would come in with a payment.  I have never forgotten how sweet the entire experience was. It has been a joy watching that amazing little girl grow into a beautiful, creative and inspiring young lady.  I will be heading down to Back in the Day next week to support the cause.  

Visit www.cupcakesforacause.org site to find a participating bakery in your area.  

No comments: