Monday, January 5, 2009

to market, to market

Even though the financial forecast for 2009 does not look much better than the latter part of 2008, I am trying to be optimistic about the coming year. Catalogs and postcards for new product came flooding in to the store as the holidays were coming to a close. I reviewed each one with a discerning eye and wrote many notes. My goal? Focus on the products and categories that keep my customers coming in time after time. Stick to the origins of the shop - a mix of hand selected vintage goods and new products that compliment those vintage goods. It has been a winning combination for almost 9 years now so hopefully our special equation will set us apart from the big box stores.

With computer print outs, notes and wish lists in hand I am off to market later in the week to order items for spring and fall of this year. I expect our spring orders from the July market to start shipping in a couple of weeks so I am looking for any additional items that complete the overall look. Call me crazy, I am really looking forward to seeing the new Christmas goodies for 2009. You would think I would be over the whole season right about now, but if you know me well you know how much I love it. Wish me luck.

The bags above are part of our spring tote collection. They are our new feel-good, do-good totes. The manufacturer purchased 265,750 meals for hungry children in India through the United Nations World Food Program with a portion of the proceeds from the sale of these bags. So if you make one a part of your life your contribution will be a part of the cycle.

3 comments:

Judith van Praag said...

Shopping bags are a must. Have a great 2009!

VintageScraps.etsy.com said...

They are great bags, with an even greater mission! Hope you sell tons :)

blue moss said...

love the bags....and all the things you pick for your store. reading about your merchandise just makes me wish i lived closer to your lovely store.....i look forward to shopping there this spring (or maybe sooner if we hop down there for a weekend)